It’s easy to join BIG GIVE, the 24hour online community giving day, to fundraise for your cause.
If you know how to upload an image on Facebook you can easily upload your fundraising campaign. We have broken down what you need to do to get started into some easy steps, so you can register your campaign on the BIG GIVE website.
Step 1 : Decide What It Is You Are Seeking Funds For and How Much You Want
What is it that your organisation, community group or sporting club needs? Is it new showers? Equipment for volunteers? An education program to share information?
You want to be able to tell people about your fantastic BIG GIVE campaign easily and why it is a good thing for them to support.
Most importantly have a target amount that you want to fundraise; it might be $500 or $5000!
Step 2 : Give Your Campaign a Name
Your cause needs a great name to catch the attention of your supporters and potential donors. Your name will quickly share what you are fundraising for. Here are some examples of causes that are registered on the BIG GIVE website:
Lifeline: Reach Out – Someone is There
CFA: Specialist Emergency Support Vehicle Replacement
Step 3 : Create a Pitch for Your Campaign
You need to prepare some text to describe your campaign, in a short form and also a longer form.
Short Pitch Text
This short description will be at the top of your campaign page online. It is for people who are deciding whether to read your entire page or not. It needs to tell them what your campaign is in 200 characters or less.
Long Campaign Description
This text is a longer description of what your campaign is all about and is for donors who want to know more about what you are setting out to achieve. In total you need around 300 – 500 words. There are helpful hints about how to structure your long campaign description embedded in the sign up process.
Our walkthrough video also has useful information about how to write this text.
Step 4 : Choose a Banner Image
This image will be the first thing potential donors will see, so make sure it is awesome and represents your campaign. The image needs to be 684px wide and 385px tall and saved as a png, jpg or gif file.
Step 5 : Choose an Image for your Organisation, Group or Club
This image is to show donors who you are – it might be your logo or something similar that helps tell the story of your campaign. It is best if this image is square and must be at least 100px wide by 100px tall.
Step 6 : Preparing to Receive Donations
BIG GIVE needs to know who you are and also your banking details so that you can receive donations.
For this you will need:
• A copy of your drivers license or passport
• A contact phone number
• A contact email address
• ABN (if you are a registered organisation)
• Find out if your organization has DGR status
• Bank account details, including: Account Name, BSB, Account number and scanned copy of a recent bank statement (you can blank out the sensitive details)
Some Other Tips:
• Your campaign won’t be live on the BIG GIVE website until the 1st of August. In the mean time start thinking about your supporters and how you will invite them to join you to realize your campaign target. This could include your social media, newsletter, email lists The earlier you get onto this the better
• Watch the fantastic walkthrough video on the BIG GIVE website that explains how to place your information you have gathered about your campaign online
• Feeling overwhelmed? Find someone who is comfortable putting information online and work with them or contact the Community Foundation Central Victoria – we are here to help you!